Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Time for a Break

Well... It sucks, but I think I'm going to take a break, at least for awhile.

I have been running up and down a lot lately, and unfortunately the down has outweighed the up. I've felt like i've been playing good for the most part, with some obvious tilt sessions that pretty much kill me. I found some holes in my NL game, and the NL cash games have been going more well recently than they have in awhile. Except for one hand the other night that wiped out a good chunk of my online BR. I hit the 2nd nuts on the turn against a bigstack who was betting into me hard the whole hand after I raised preflop... well the river was a "harmless" 3, and he pushed on me... Now at this point, 2 hands beat me, on a board of K47T3... I had TT... He... after hard betting on the flop, turn, and then river.... wound up having 56. I make that call in a heartbeat every single time, and unfortunately this time it cost me about $450, and it was hard to come back from that. It pretty much deflated me, because it always seems to be these huge pots when I get totally beat down by the cards.

This is a great lesson as to why not to play outside your BR. I was in a 2/4NL game, which is obviously way outside of where I should have been playing. But I lack some patience to play where I need to, and occasionally will take a shot up higher and try to give the BR a nice boost. Sometimes it works, sometimes this happens. At this point, I had just cashed out $200 for living money, and only had about $200 left... I tried a $20 180-man sng on stars, and was very dissapointed taking 12th. Which is actually my best finish lately, but I was top 5 when I went out and I was upset that I played perfectly up to that point, then went out with 2 pair against a flush I should've been able to get away from. If I win that tourney like I felt I could have, then this blog never happens, but it didn't work out the way I had hoped.

I still feel a strong urge to just get in there and bust up a tournament and take a huge cash home. Recently I have done quite well until it gets near bubble time and I make one deadly mistake that costs me either a cash or better. I had avoided that in the 180 man one until very late, and it wasn't neccisarily a blowup, just should've known better. The skill is there, and I will be making noise before too long.

Right now though, I am running low on money because I quit the last job I had because mainly, I wasn't making enough to justify staying. Figured I could grind out a bit playing online, but after running bad off and on, I haven't gotten on the roll I needed, and not able to build up the BR to the point where it can actually sustain cashing out and living off of right now. So it looks like I have to find another job. This time I hope to find a "real" job, and not something where I am barely making money. I'm kinda tired of not having much disposable money, and poker or not, that would really help out my life situation right now. I'll probably try to find a job, and then save up a real bankroll from that money, not play till I know I can play levels I want without going broke on one hand.

I've bounced back and forth between Limit and NL, and trying to find out which one I prefer. Mainly it depends on my mood. I am fairly consistent in Limit, I can grind it out if I needed to. Just haven't gotten to the level where grinding it out shows a whole lot of profit. When I'm playing NL, I can usually make money in quick spurts... the problem is that I also lose it in the same manner. Tilt is a subtle killer, and if you have it when you're playing NL, be careful because it can cost you a lot of money and heartache.

I'll try to update my situation, and hopefully I am able to play some live games from time to time. I love playing live about 10 fold over online, and have a much better record overall in that realm as well. So I'll probably be doing that when I have some expendible income, but for right now, i'm running low and need to conserve until I know some more will be coming in. I have made this way too long, so that's about it. Good Luck. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home